Medical Tourism in El Salvador
Even with preexisting exorbitant costs, the price of healthcare in the US and other Western countries continues to sky rocket without looking back. Such unbelievable cost of healthcare is the number one driving factor leading people to seek out medical services abroad. In 2008, an article published in the Timemagazine reported that at least 150,000 Americans travel abroad for medical services annually. And many of them are fueling medical tourism in El Salvador. Whether it is cancer treatment or something less serious like Dental Implants, in El Salvador one can expect to save thousands on treatment costs.
According to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services NHE Fact sheet, the United States spent roughly 17.6% of its GDP or $2.5 trillion on healthcare. The share of national health expenditure in the US is expected to climb to 19.3% by 2019.
El Salvador – A Premier Medical Tourism Destination
There are a number of reasons why El Salvador is an attractive option for individuals seeking medical treatments. The tiny Latin American provides a healthcare alternative to that found in the United States. When considering El Salvador for medical tourism you can expect:
- 30-60% Savings – Even after factoring in the cost of traveling to El Salvador, medical tourists usually save anywhere from 30%-60% of what the treatments cost in the US.
- Quality Medical Treatments – Many medical facilities in El Salvador are equipped with state of the art technology. The leading hospitals and clinics of the country strictly observe globally-accepted standards of quality and safety.
- Competent Doctors – A number of renowned doctors working in El Salvador have earned all or some part of their degrees from well-known medical school in the States. You can find US board-certified doctors and physicians in the Latin American country.
- Less Travel Time – El Salvador’s proximity to the US is an added advantage. Reduced travel time alleviates stress that is sometimes otherwise incurred on a medical tour.
- Experience of Latin American Culture – Because the Latin American culture is very much prevalent in the US, it is easy for medical tourists to adjust with little to no culture shock when traveling to El Salvador. Most Americans already have exposure to the language, food, and the overall mores of the Latin Americans.
- Vacationing in an Exotic Destination - With beautiful beaches and lush milieu paired with a rich history of an ancient civilization, El Salvador is a premier vacation destination. The verdant environs make for a soothing place to undergo medical treatment and convalesce.
These are some of the most obvious reasons that individuals choose to go to El Salvador for medical tourism.
Who Can Opt for Treatments in El Salvador?
The US Census Bureau estimates that nearly 46.3 million Americans did not have health insurance in 2009. Even if an individual does have insurance, it is not guaranteed to cover all medical procedures. Elective procedures such as plastic surgeries and cosmetic dental procedures are seldom covered by insurance companies. This leaves the individual with looming bills, should he/she choose to undergo treatment. Medical tourism in El Salvador can be a solution for you if:
- You have limited or no health insurance – As stated earlier, the cost of medical services in El Salvador is significantly lesser than what one will have to shell out on in the United States, Canada and other developed countries. Many of the medical tourists traveling to Latin America are seeking dental services such as dental implants, crowns, and veneers. If you have limited or no dental insurance, then the reduced costs found in El Salvador might be an attractive alternative.
- You are fit enough to travel - While the travel is limited in comparison to other medical tourism destinations if you happen to be from the US, you will still have to take a flight that is at least 3-4 hours long. You should be healthy enough to endure traveling.
You can find state-of-the-art hospitals and specialists for almost any kind of treatment in Salvador – right from bariatric surgery to cancer treatment, from dental procedures to cosmetic surgeries.
A medical trip to El Salvador can be your answer to finding a facility that provides easy-on-the-pocket treatments without cutting corners on quality.